Lovers of older books may recall the ornate capital letters that started each chapter of a book.
Here are the steps to recreate that effect in a Microsoft Word 2007 document.
- Type your text into your document, as you would normally
- Place your cursor after the letter you want enhanced
- Click the Insert tab at the top of the screen
- In the Text area (on the right), click the down arrow next to Drop Cap. You will see this window:
5. Select Dropped or In Margin for the style of Drop Cap you want.
6. If you select Dropped and lines to drop: 3, the text will appear underneath the capital letter as seen in this example. If you choose a different font, you can make the letter ornate.
7. If you select In Margin and don’t change the font, the capital letter will be pushed into the margin and your text will remain in the same place. To move the text further away from the letter, adjust the Distance from text.
8. If you don’t like the effect, click None and the Drop Cap will be removed.