… . Volunteer at the Library
Waukegan Public Library needs the help of many volunteers to meet the growing and changing needs of our diverse community. Whatever your age and skill level, we need your time and talent.
A sample of volunteer tasks include:
- Preparing new books and AV materials for circulation
- Mending damaged books
- Delivering books to homebound patrons
- Shelving and shelf reading books and AV materials
- Helping with special projects such as surveys, bulk mailing, etc.
- Providing clerical support
- Assisting the Children’s librarians with programs and events
Some skills needed:
In order for the volunteer experience to go well for both the library and the volunteer, the volunteer must have a positive attitude. Listed are some skills that are considered ideal for the volunteer to possess.
- Attention to detail
- Able to work independently
- Pleasant, able to work with a diverse public and staff
- Good listening and telephone skills
- Able to calmly deal with or refer emotional patrons to staff member
- Able to ask questions when help or further training is needed
- Willingness to learn new tasks
When you volunteer at the library you meet new people, gain valuable skills or polish existing ones. Your volunteer service not only benefits the Waukegan Public Library, you help meet the educational, informational, and cultural needs of our rapidly changing community. Volunteers are considered an extension of the library staff, and so “[t]he library’s tagline “Putting Quality in Your Life” should be the guiding principle in how we conduct ourselves toward patrons and fellow staff.” (WPL Employee Handbook pg 13.)
Please call the Volunteer Coordinator, David Villalobos, at 847-623-2041 ext. 234 or davidvillalobos [at] waukeganpl [dot] info to inquire about these and other volunteer opportunities.
Volunteer with Literacy
Help an adult learn to read. To register for the next tutor training, or to learn more about literacy volunteering, please contact Josh Anderson at 847-623-2041 ext. 225 or janderson [at] waukeganpl [dot] info.