Frequently asked questions . . .
Who can enroll in the classes?
Classes are open to any adult, regardless of residency, and are filled on a first come, first served basis.
How much do the classes cost?
Classes are free.
When do the classes meet?
Classes meet once a week, usually from 6:30 to 8:30 PM. Check our calendar.
How long are the classes?
Classes run for four weeks.
Do I need to understand English to take the class?
Classes are available in either English or Spanish.
How do I sign up for the classes?
Registration is required and on a first come, first served basis. Individuals may register in person, through the library’s web site or by calling the library 847-623-2041.
What subjects are covered?
The beginning classes cover the following:
- hardware identification (turning the computer off and on, using a USB drive)
- computer vocabulary
- mouse skills
- keyboarding skills (limited instruction)
- Microsoft Windows
- simple word processing
- opening, closing, saving and printing documents
- the differences between a document and a program
- introduction to the Internet
The intermediate classes cover the following:
- review of introductory class content
- format word processing documents (fonts, footers, headers, paragraphs)
- edit word processing documents (spell checker, thesaurus)
- create a resume, if needed (evaluation tool)
- introduce simple spreadsheet activities
- create a simple spreadsheet (evaluation tool)
- Internet search skills
- evaluate validity of web site content
- acquire an email address
The advanced level classes cover the following:
- review of intermediate level content
- introduction to PowerPoint
The keyboarding classes cover the following:
- learning the “Home Row” and finger placements for other keys
- practice using the keyboard
Do I have to attend all the classes?
Participants are encouraged to attend all the classes to gain the most benefit.
Will I get a certificate?
Participants who attend 75% of the class (three out of four weeks) will receive a certificate of completion.
Can my child attend the classes?
Classes are for adults only. Children are not allowed in the computer labs while instruction is being offered.