Clean for the Holidays
I love pulling out the good china and silver to use for the holidays, but I hate polishing silver! The chemicals give me a headache and it makes my hands grimy. If you’re tired of polishing silver, try this green trick instead:
- Find a glass or ceramic container big enough to hold your silver. Line the bottom with aluminum foil.
- Next, put your silver in the container. Don’t overlap the pieces.
- Sprinkle all the silver liberally with baking soda. You just used all the chemicals you’re going to use for this chore. Awesome, right?
- Now pour boiling water (carefully!) in the container until your silver is submerged. You’ll see and hear the baking soda fizzing away the tarnish.
- Let it sit until the fizzing stops and the silver is cool enough to handle. Admire the tarnish that has magically adhered itself to the aluminum foil.
Rinse the silver and dry it with a soft cloth. You’re welcome!