Like most people, I occasionally click something and the Microsoft Office Ribbon vanishes.
The ribbon is at the top section of the page and looks like this in Excel.
When the ribbon is minimized Excel looks like this.
Having the ribbon minimized is great if that’s what you desire. You can see more of the document/spreadsheet/database you are using. I prefer to see the available options.
There are several ways to minimize/un-minimize the ribbon, I’ll show you two.
1. Right click on the word Home in the menu and click on the last option. If you see a checkmark, the ribbon will be minimized.
2. Right click on the arrow next to the Quick Access Toolbar. The ribbon option is at the bottom.
Every day you hear more and more about eBooks. Today is a day to reflect on the man who invented eBooks, Michael S. Hart. You can read his obituary here.
Project Gutenberg is a great resource for downloading free eBooks in a variety of languages and file formats. We link to that and other free eBooks site here.
For free access to over 15,000 titles visit http://downloads.waukeganpl.org and click on this image.
Lovers of older books may recall the ornate capital letters that started each chapter of a book.
Here are the steps to recreate that effect in a Microsoft Word 2007 document.
- Type your text into your document, as you would normally
- Place your cursor after the letter you want enhanced
- Click the Insert tab at the top of the screen
- In the Text area (on the right), click the down arrow next to Drop Cap. You will see this window:
5. Select Dropped or In Margin for the style of Drop Cap you want.
6. If you select Dropped and lines to drop: 3, the text will appear underneath the capital letter as seen in this example. If you choose a different font, you can make the letter ornate.
7. If you select In Margin and don’t change the font, the capital letter will be pushed into the margin and your text will remain in the same place. To move the text further away from the letter, adjust the Distance from text.
8. If you don’t like the effect, click None and the Drop Cap will be removed.
First post coming soon!