What Is Interlibrary Loan?
We’ll find it for you! Interlibrary loan (ILL) service at Waukegan Public Library is available to Waukegan Public Library card holders only. This service allows libraries to share materials. If you do not find what you need at our Library, please ask for help at the Adult Reference Desk or call 847-623-2041 ext. 238.
What We Need From You
When you order an item through ILL please provide your name, address, phone number, your library card number, title of the item, and author. You can email us with this information at: illwaukegan [at] waukeganpl [dot] info
How Long it Takes
We try to get ILL items as quickly as possible, in most cases within a week, however, some materials may take longer.
Call us at 847-623-2041 and ask for Interlibrary Loan at ext. 236 or Reference at ext. 238.
Some Other Things to Note
- ILL is available to Waukegan Public Library card holders in good standing. When fines exceed $10, you are ineligible to borrow through ILL until fines are paid down.
- You will be charged a $2 fee per item if you do not pick up your ILL materials within five days of notification. You have the option of picking up ILL materials at either the Main Library or Hinkston branch.
- You may request up to five items through ILL at a time. The total of your ILL requests, including those checked out to you or pending, may not exceed 10 items. You may request the same title a maximum of three times.
- The length of time you may check out an ILL item is decided by the library that’s lending the item. In most cases it will be a two to three week period.
- In many cases we can extend the loan period for one week. Call the Interlibrary Loan Department or the Adult reference desk BEFORE the due date. You may only renew an interlibrary loan item once.
- We do not lend or borrow interlibrary loan items under six months old. Additionally, video games, eBooks and Blu-Rays are not loaned or borrowed through ILL. We may decide to purchase your request for the Waukegan Public Library instead of interlibrary loaning the item.
- You can recommend that we purchase items we do not own by contacting the Reference Desk or filling out our online Book Suggestion Form.